Tuesday 5 July 2011

Celebrations


I think this has to be a new record for shortest time between blogs but I couldn't wait to tell you why I am not leaving this amazing place. Ever. It all comes down to one thing - celebration. America does not do half- hearted and reluctant. Oh no. They think of the biggest fanfare they can and then do their best to make it even better.

I got my first taste of this on Saturday when we went to Ruth's Chris Steak House to celebrate my nana's birthday. The restaurant had managed to do what many others could not: it was filled with a sophisticated grandeur but retained a friendly atmosphere. Normally, when I go to other 'posh' places, I always feel out of place, like I'm playing pretend. I am glad to say that this was not the case. When they brought out our meals on the silver platter (ok slight exaggeration), they smiled and sprinkled confetti on our table. They even brought us out a birthday cake. Admittedly it was served with truffles but I'm not complaining about that. They even cleaned the car while we ate. I've had my taste of the high life and I do not want to let go.

Last night, I had my first ever experience of Independence Day. It was amazing. The fireworks, the food, the fun. There were craft stalls and bouncy castles and live music and food....the list could go on. Anything you could want, they had, including, rather oddly, a bath fitter. Yeah I don't get it either.

For those of you who know nothing about it, let me fill you in. The Fourth of July is a chance for all Americans from all walks of life to come together and just be happy. They celebrate the independence and freedom they have been given and thank and commemorate those that had to make sacrifices in order for them to get where they are today. For that one day, nobody cares about political or cultural differences, everybody is joined by a sense of patriotism and community.

This was the first time I had experienced these feelings on this scale and I could not help but be overwhelmed by it. It is something we could all learn from. No matter who we are, where we come from or what we believe, there is always an indestructible link to be found. Have you ever noticed that when Christmas comes around we are that little bit nicer to our neighbours? Celebrations are more than just festivities and fireworks, they bring us together and for that one blissful moment we forget our prejudices and hatreds.


No comments:

Post a Comment